Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Friday, December 31, 2010
So here they are, in no particular order:
- Anniversary brunch with Topher at Bistro 110 in Chicago - I wouldn't have guessed that the most romantic meal of the weekend would've been brunch, but it was
- Birthday dinner for Heather and Ally at Tautog's in Virginia Beach - a fun night out with good friends
- Dinner at A Chef's Kitchen in Williamsburg with our friends Randy & Kim - like watching a Food Network show live
- Birthday dinner for Anne at Union Square Cafe in Manhattan - the bacon ice cream & squash bread pudding was to die for!
- Dinner at Stove in Portsmouth with Randy & Kim and Mike & Jane - so much fun that Topher requested to go back for his birthday in December
(Honorable mention: my birthday dinner at Sushi Aka in Suffolk.)
As I wrote earlier this year, the quality of a meal depends a lot on who I share it with. Eating a gourmet meal alone can be a forgettable experience; sharing a meal with friends and loved ones can elevate the memory of that meal to something really special.
Here's to more delicious meals with good friends in 2011!
Thursday, December 30, 2010
Wednesday, December 29, 2010
- for starters: marinated goat cheese with French bread
- beef burgundy (or "boeuf bourguignon" as Julia Child's would say)
- greens beans with garlic
- to drink:
- for dessert: cheesecake topped with cherry compote & rosemary (thanks, Topher!)
- chili with a choice of topping (cilantro, scallions, corn chips, shredded cheese)
- homemade corn bread
- salmon log with crackers
- sriracha & wasabi deviled eggs (a Food & Wine recipe)
- Waldorf salad
- apple cake
- chocolate peppermint pinwheel cookies (an Alton Brown recipe, but we left out the crushed candy canes)
- bourbon-ginger ham (the one that he practiced last week)
- creamed spinach
- three-cheese macaroni (with parmesan, mozzarella, & fontina)
- to drink: Shoofly viognier (Australian)
- for dessert: leftover apple cake and chocolate peppermint pinwheel cookies; creme de menthe brownies (thanks, Jinks!); sugar cookies (made by my mother-in-law); dark chocolate-covered almonds (thanks, Randy!) ... clearly we weren't short on sweets
Sunday, December 26, 2010
and he who has no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without price.
and your labor for that which does not satisfy?
Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,
and delight yourselves in rich food.
hear, that your soul may live;
and I will make with you an everlasting covenant,
my steadfast, sure love for David.
and do not return there but water the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it ..."
Monday, December 20, 2010
- tomato, mozzarella, basil leaf, & balsamic vinegar - I could have eaten 10 of these
- lobster risotto - creamy & delicious
- green beans with roasted walnuts & goat cheese - if this is the way I'd had green beans as a kid, there's no way I'd dislike them!
- steak with chimichurri sauce
- for dessert: chocolate swirl cheesecake