Friday, August 27, 2010

Green Smoothie Follow-up: My Favorite Recipe

For the past two weeks, I've been experimenting with various versions of the green smoothie, and I think I've finally found my favorite. It makes a great breakfast!
  • ~1 cup of almond milk or soy milk
  • 1 ripe banana, cut into 1-inch chunks & frozen ahead of time (I blend these with the milk before I add anything else)
  • ~ 1/2 cup of frozen mixed berries (I use Harris Teeter's bagged mix of frozen blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, & blueberries)
  • two large handfuls of spinach or rainbow Swiss chard, washed and torn into pieces (I tried kale as well, but I don't think it works as well - it's the wrong texture or something)
  • 1 T of ground flaxseed
  • 1 T of almond butter

Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Makes 2 servings.

Sadly, it does not turn a fun bright green color, unless you leave out the mixed berries. With the berries, it's a strange purplish brown - not all that appetizing to look at, but delicious to drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment