Monday, August 30, 2010

Summer of the Sandwich

Do you ever get on a kick where you find a food you like and just keep eating it over and over? I did that with Greek yogurt for a while, then avocados (although I'm still kinda on that kick), and now it seems to be sandwiches.

This summer I've snacked on egg salad, chicken salad (with celery, dried cranberries, & Granny Smith apples), and tuna salad sandwiches. Last week while in DC, I grabbed a balsamic chicken sandwich with avocado, basil, and baby leaf from Pret a Manger for lunch. And several times this summer, after Topher has made his delicious bourbon ancho pork tenderloin for dinner with friends, I've thin-sliced the leftover pork to use on sandwiches with sliced avocado, sliced tomato (from the WRPC Community Garden, of course), arugula, Swiss cheese, and a dab of Dijon mustard.

Breakfast sandwiches are my favorite, though. I wish I had time to make one every morning, but I usually enjoy them only on weekends, when I can sleep in a little and make breakfast at my own pace.

My dad used to make delicious breakfast sandwiches for me when I was growing up: fried egg, bacon, cheddar cheese, and a little mayo on toasted wheat bread. Anytime I had a big test or something at school, he'd have one ready for me on my way out the door.

This summer, in my continued quest to eat more veggies for breakfast, I've piled fried eggs on toasted white bread with sliced tomato & avocado, light Duke's mayo, and whatever cheese (Swiss, cheddar, or provolone) and greens (usually leftover arugula, spinach or cilantro - yes, I use it as a green!) we have in the fridge.

Ironically, I've also read about multiple sandwich contests this summer. I usually don't go in for those sorts of things, but I think I'm going to spend an hour or or this weekend to concoct, photograph (the hardest part for me), and submit an entry. If I get it done, I'll post pictures next week. Fingers crossed, I might win a trip or some moolah!

The Contests:
Southwest Airlines’ Spirit Magazine "Build a Better Sandwich" Sweepstakes (ends Sept 15)
Whole Foods' Whole Deal Pack-a-Lunch Contest (ends Sept 30)
Mezzetta's Make That Sandwich Contest (ends Sept 6)

Read more about sandwich "architecture" from Spirit Magazine and Whole Foods - it's actually pretty interesting, but it'll make your mouth water!

Note: The picture above is from this website.

No comments:

Post a Comment