Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Dating in DC: Raw Oysters at Old Ebbitt Grill


As I mentioned in my
very first post, my interest in food took off while Topher & I were engaged and I was living/working in DC. As usual, he did the research and found some wonderful restaurants for us to try.

One of our favorite dates was Old Ebbitt Grill in the heart of DC. After a delicious meal, we took a leisurely walk around The White House (behind us in the picture above) and its "front yard," also known as The Ellipse, or the President's Park.

What I Ate:
  • Prince Edward Island oysters: a half dozen, raw on the half shell - this was the first time I ever ate raw oysters, and I was hooked!
  • Seafood Jambalaya: shrimp, mussels, calamari, scallops, clams, chicken chorizo sausage, vegetable stew and rice - perfect amount of kick, and the seafood was delicious!
  • either key lime pie or strawberry rhubarb pie, I can't remember which! :(
The Scoop:
Old Ebbitt Grill (www.ebbitt.com) is located at 675 15th Street NW, Washington, DC 20005. Their dinner hours are M-F 5pm-12am, Sat-Sun 4pm-12am. Reservations are available by calling (202)347-4800.

Note #1: Old Ebbitt is located very close to The White House and the U.S. Treasury building. It is popular with political insiders, and the bar is often crowded. If you plan to go for dinner, I strongly recommend that you make reservations.

Note #2: The wait staff at Old Ebbitt are awesome. Our waitress (I think her name was Chris?) was prompt & knowledgeable about the menu, she gave great recommendations (especially on the oysters), and she always seemed to be there when we needed her but never when we didn't. Perfect service.

No comments:

Post a Comment