Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Ingredient: Avocados



Are there some foods that you hated as a kid and refused to eat; then you tried them again as an adult and now wonder how in the world you ever disliked them?

Avocado is one of those foods for me. When I was little, I thought avocados were slimy, smelly, and slightly the wrong color green. But now I can't stop eating them. On sandwiches, on salads, in sushi - I'm always drawn to the menu items that contain avocado.

Thankfully - like salmon, almonds, and olive oil - avocados are a great source of healthy fat. Avocados contain high levels of monounsaturated fat, which helps lower bad cholesterol and boost good cholesterol, and omega-3 fatty acid (polyunsaturated fat), which may help reduce inflammation and prevent heart disease. They're also high in folate and fiber. Alton Brown of "Good Eats" fame even included avocados in his list of "foods to eat three times a week."

To satisfy my avocado cravings, I came up with a delicious sandwich idea. Every time I bring this for lunch at the office, my co-workers come by my desk and drool enviously. (Disclaimer: This recipe is a riff on one from RealSimple.com.)

Apple-Avocado Open-Face Sandwich
  • Spread plain hummus on two pieces of whole wheat bread.
  • On each slice of bread, layer one slice of Swiss cheese, thin-sliced red apple (or pear or green apple), and thin-sliced avocado.
  • Top with alfalfa sprouts, and enjoy!
Want more ideas? Check out The Amazing Avocado.

1 comment:

  1. Best avocado tweeps:

    http://twitter.com/MissionAvocados
    http://twitter.com/guacgrl
    http://twitter.com/amazingavocado

    ReplyDelete