Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Dating in DC: Beef Tartare at Dukem

While we were engaged, my husband Topher was eager to try beef tartare (at the prompting of his friend Randy), so our second foray into ethnic food in DC was Ethiopian. Again, we ate with just our hands, sans silverware.

I wasn't brave enough to order a full serving myself, so I got a vegetarian platter instead. Imagine my surprise when the plate was accompanied by a whole cooked fish on the bone - head, eyes, tail, everything! (I think they gave me a fork to eat that.)

But I did try a few bites of Topher's entrée. It had a moist, warm, chewy consistency - not bad, but I couldn't eat much of it. I think we both psyched ourselves out a little. I mean, it was raw beef.

What I Ate:
  • #33 Special Dukem Veggie Combo III: spicy splint lentils, yellow peas, greens, cabbage, shiro, salad, and chickpeas in spicy sauce, all served over injera bread, with a whole cooked fish
What Topher Ate:
  • Dukem Kitfo: Beef tartare mixed with homemade cottage cheese, herbal butter, cardamom, and mitmita
The Scoop:
Dukem Ethiopian Restaurant (www.dukemrestaurant.com) is located at 1114-1118 U Street (12th Street NW), Washington, DC 20009. Their hours are Sun-R 11am-2am, F-Sat 11am-3am.

Note: The picture above isn't my actual plate, but it's as close as I could find online. It's from here.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment