Monday, June 14, 2010

Thai in Brooklyn


I spent this past weekend in NYC with my good friend Anne, and we had a delicious time!

It all started last Wednesday afternoon when Topher called and told me that work was sending him to Bath, England, for four days. After I stopped being jealous, I decided to look online for cheap flights to NYC and texted my good friend (and fabulous maid of honor) Anne to see if I could visit her in Brooklyn. Two days later I was in the Big Apple.

On Friday evening while Anne was in NJ for a few hours, I went out to dinner with her friend/roommate Gretchen & Gretchen's sister Madeline. They were in the mood for Thai, so we started walking down Court Street to find a place that looked good. I was amazed: In just 3-4 blocks, we passed at least half a dozen great-looking Thai places, including
Joya. I'm not sure we have that many Thai restaurants in all of Hampton Roads!

We ended up at
Ghang. The staff wasn't that great--we had to flag down our waitress to get drink refills and, finally, our check--but the food was good. I ordered Panang curry chicken with carrots & bell peppers, with a glass of the house pinot grigio. The curry was a little more spicy than I usually like it, but that night I didn't mind the burning tongue & drippy nose--the spice actually felt good. Maybe my heat tolerance is improving; if so, Topher will be thrilled.

Later this week: brunch spots in Brooklyn & Manhattan, and gluten-free Italian on the Upper West Side!

No comments:

Post a Comment