Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Gluten-Free Italian on the Upper West Side


Anne (my good friend and maid of honor extraordinaire who I visited in NYC this past weekend) had to work at Alice's Tea Cup on Saturday afternoon, so I had a few hours to kill by myself. I went to see a play -- Manhattan Theatre Club's production of Donald Margulies' "Collected Stories" starring Linda Lavin and Sarah Paulson -- did some shopping at Columbus Circle, and then read for a while in Central Park.

When Anne got off from work at 8pm, we were both starving, and she suggested an Italian place on the Upper West Side called
Sambuca. The real draw for her was their gluten-free menu (she has a wheat allergy).

I haven't tasted a lot of gluten-free foods, and although I tried desperately, I wasn't able to get her a gluten-free cupcake at my wedding last spring. So I was surprised by how well the chef at Sambuca was able to mimic the texture and consistency of real bread and pasta.

They serve their entrees family-style, so we shared a plate of gluten-free (tapioca/rice) ravioli filled with spinach & ricotta cheese, and I sipped a glass of 2008 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo with mine. Sure, the ravioli didn't taste 100% like the real thing, but it was awfully close. And Anne loved it: It was the first time she'd been able to enjoy pasta in years!

No comments:

Post a Comment