Saturday, July 17, 2010

Quinoa - Take Two

I co-hosted a baby shower luncheon today, and as part of my contribution to the meal, I decided to try out another quinoa salad recipe. My first attempt was pretty good, but it was a little dry after sitting in the refrigerator overnight; so this time Topher suggested that we add a little extra olive oil to the dressing to keep it moist. The photo above doesn't do it justice at all - it actually turned out quite well! This is definitely one that I'll make again.

Here's the recipe (from Food Network):

Ingredients
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 cup frozen green beans, defrosted
  • 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions
  1. Combine quinoa with 2 cups water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and continue cooking until all water is absorbed.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine cooked quinoa, dried cranberries, green beans, walnuts, and green onions until well mixed.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and garlic until well blended. Pour over the quinoa mixture. Toss until well blended. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Note: It's best to let the quinoa cool almost completely before adding any of the other ingredients.


On another note entirely, I am envious of food blogs with spectacular photography. A few of my favorites are Smitten Kitchen, The Pioneer Woman, and From Me To You. I dream that maybe one day my pictures will turn out that well ...

1 comment:

  1. From me to you's Dinner and a movie = perfect. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete