Thursday, July 15, 2010

Suffolk Spotlight: Amici's Pizza Cafe

The second place on my summer "to-dine" list that I visited this week was Amici's Pizza Cafe, a locals' favorite in downtown Suffolk.

I must admit that I wasn't too impressed with Amici's the first time I ate there, earlier this summer with two girlfriends: the food was delicious, but the service left a lot to be desired. Last night, though, my friend Meredith and I had a great time. We sat out front on the shaded patio, munched on bread with garlic butter, and sipped pinot grigio (well, I did at least; she's preggo) while we waited for our entrees. Thankfully, the wait wasn't nearly as long as last time.

What I Ate:
  • The first time: Penne ala Vodka - spinach & andouille sausage over penna pasta in a tomato cream sauce
  • The second time: Veal Piccata - veal cutlets with capers in a light lemon-white wine sauce over spaghetti

Amici's menu also includes a great selection of pizzas, a huge Greek salad (which my friend Kim got on my first visit), and salmon & artichokes over asparagus risotto (which I plan to try next time). Bottom line: Amici's is good, and I'll probably eat there again. But it's more casual than Primo 116, both in atmosphere and in cuisine; so for a special occasion or fancy night out, Primo 116 is still my favorite Italian in Suffolk.

The Scoop:
Amici's Pizza Cafe is located in downtown Suffolk at 157 E. Washington Street. You can reach them at (757)923-5300. They don't take reservations.

No comments:

Post a Comment