Monday, September 27, 2010

End of Summer, Beginning of Fall


Last Friday night Topher & I celebrated the end of summer and the beginning of fall with our friends Randy & Kim. We dined on an entree of fish tacos (a quintessentially summer dish) with a dessert of pumpkin pie (very autumnal).

What We Ate:
  • fish tacos: grilled halibut (marinated in olive oil & lime juice), chipotle crema (sour cream + chipotle peppers in adobo sauce), shredded green cabbage, & cilantro - I love Topher's fish tacos (he used to fry the fish, which was great, but I think it's even better grilled), and they work with any white/light fish: halibut, grouper, tilapia, catfish, flounder, mahi mahi, etc.
  • jicama salad: julienne jicama, carrots, red onion, & green bell pepper (a variant of this recipe) - since I'd never seen or eaten one before, it took me quite a while to find a jicama at the grocery store!
  • refried black beans with a dollop of sour cream, and black rice
  • to drink: a paloma
  • for dessert: a slice of pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream
Afterwards we watched another film by Swedish director Ingmar Bergman: "Through a Glass Darkly" (1961), the first in his trilogy on faith and God. The film centers on four characters - Karin (who suffers from schizophrenia), her husband Martin, her father David, and her brother Minus - as they try to relate to one another during vacation on a remote island. It won the 1962 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, and the Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film.

It's definitely a film of conversations, not events. I must admit that I'm still processing it, but I can say that I liked the music: Bach's Sarabande from Suite No. 2 in D minor. And one of Karin's schizophrenic episodes reminded me strongly of Charlotte Perkins Gilman's short story "The Yellow Wallpaper," a disturbing but good read from 10th grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment