Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Headed to Market


While I was in DC last week, my husband Topher went to Columbus, OH for work, and he brought back pictures from North Market near Goodale Park and the Greater Columbus Convention Center. He went there for lunch one day and got a crepe with Balsamic, tons of fresh spinach, red peppers and goat cheese from Taste of Belgium - they make crepes to order, both savory and sweet. Sounds yummy to me!

He was also impressed with their poultry & game menu: whole fryer rabbits, and duck confit & foie gras! (I wish he'd had a cooler to bring some home, but I doubt it would have traveled well on the plane.)


Topher said it reminded him of Reading Terminal Market in downtown Philadelphia, a place I loved to visit when I lived in Philly. I would often meet friends there for lunch during the week, and we'd split two crepes from Profi's Creperie - one with chicken, spinach & tomato, and one with bananas, stawberries & nutella. For lunch they also offer mediterranean & Middle Eastern (at Mezze and Kamal's), Southern (at Delilah's and the Down Home Diner), Pennsylvania Dutch (at the Dutch Eating Place and the Grill at Smucker's), and of course hoagies & cheesesteaks.

Reading Terminal Market is also a great place to buy fresh flowers, produce, meats, seafood, and Italian breads & pastries. It can get a little crowded and crazy, but it's such a fun place to walk around, especially on weekends when farmers from Amish country come into the city to sell their stuff (especially cheese!). And if you want to learn even more, check out the Taste of Philly Food Tour.

North Market also reminded us of West Side Market in Cleveland, Oh - a place we visited while we were dating. (I lived and worked in downtown Cleveland for three months, and Topher came to visit me a couple of times.) One weekend we did a tour & tasting at Great Lakes Brewery, then stopped by West Side Market to get groceries for dinner (veal piccata!) at my studio apartment. While we were there, I got sidetracked at a candy shop: they were selling chocolate-covered jalapeno peppers!

The Scoop:
Reading Terminal Market (Philadelphia, PA) is on Yelp, Facebook, and Twitter.
North Market (Columbus, OH) is on Yelp, Facebook, and Twitter.
West Side Market (Cleveland, OH) is on Yelp.

No comments:

Post a Comment